Pern is a hodge podge of technology and folk remedies. Some more futuristic pieces of equipment were brought down from the Yokohama, like lasers, and yet healers still rely on Redwort instead of plastic gloves. Traditional terran medicine only loosely applies on Pern.
The following is a list of things both approved and otherwise for medical proceedures. The surgeries listed below are only some of the things that the healers on Pern are capable of. Just because it's not listed here doesn't mean it's not possible. As always, consult HEC Staff before attempting one that's not on this page.
A Note On Surgeries
SURGERIES ARE RISKY. NO ONE UNDERGOES SURGERY UNLESS THEY HAVE TO. They are not routine, they are not run-of-the-mill, they are not casually done, and there is no such thing as 'elective'. There is no such thing as a sterile environment on Pern, antibiotics are primitive and often ineffective, and there is no way to transfuse large quantities of blood if something goes wrong. Those who are forced into surgery do not always live. The mortality rate on Pern is high for several reasons, and this is one of them.
- Most forms of invasive surgery.
- Anything that would require large blood transfusions.
- Any proceedure that requires a sterile environment.
- Transplants of any kind.
- Organ removal of any kind.*
- Plastic/Cosmetic/Elective surgery of any kind.
* - Exceptions might be made on a per incident basis to grandfather previous incidents or new ones, but they will all require approval from Craft Staff.